The First-Year Writing Showcase is back, and we’re kind of obsessed with it here at the UCWbL. The showcase accepts submissions from students across DePaul’s First Year programs, and features the exemplary writing, research, and scholarship that students have produced over the past year. Here’s a little bit more information:
Students from all First Year Program courses are invited to submit their work to the seventh annual Writing Showcase at DePaul. This event celebrates the role of writing and writers in our academic, public, and private lives.
The Writing Showcase honors the work of students and faculty in First Year Program courses. A panel of judges from across the university will invite authors of the outstanding entries to display their work on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 from 6-8 pm in the Cortelyou Commons. Beyond the honor of being featured in the Showcase, student authors will also receive awards funded by DePaul’s colleges. Attendance at the event is open to members of the DePaul community, their friends and families, and the general public.
Who Can Enter
Current DePaul students may enter work written in Spring ’12, Summer ’12, Fall ’12, and Winter ’13 for the following courses:
- FYSW 102
- WRD 102, 103, and 104
- Focal Point Seminars
- Discover and Explore Chicago
- Honors 100
- Quantitative Reasoning
Texts may include
- Essays (including narrative, analytical, reflective, critical, researched, and others)
- Digication Portfolios
- Multimodal Projects
- Reports and interviews from field work
How to Enter
- Download an entry form.
- To enter individual print essays, email the essay and the entry form as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use “Attn: FYWS Submission [Your Name]” as your subject heading.
- If you are submitting a Digication Portfolio or other digital project, send the entry form as an attachment to email@example.com. Use “Attn: Digital Showcase Entry [Your Name]” as your subject heading. You will then receive further instructions via email on how to upload your entry to a special Digication Community site.
- Writers may submit up to two writing projects any time before the deadline of April 2, 2013.